Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Vortex Neighborhood

If you have a corn-dar, you might want to turn it off for this post. Most who know me know I'm a bizarre contradiction of sweet and edgy, Laura Ingalls and Linkin Park, Ivory soap and body piercing, organic fruit and dark beer...well, you get the idea. So it should really come as no surprise that embedded in that sweet backstory, right beside Bob Ross, is a wee bit of Mr. Fred Rogers.

Say what you like about the man, but he could pop and lock with the best of them while delivering bite-sized portions of something we could all use a little more of: kindness. It wasn't just that he knew about the land of make-believe like I did, but each episode offered another piece of scaffolding to help children complete the only genuine project that ever matters in life: a strong sense of self.

Yesterday on YouTube, I ran across his final on-camera goodbye from the PBS set. I'd never seen it before, but I think life was waiting for just this moment for me to hear his message. In a business laden with rejection and trying to fit in to the perfect slot someone else envisioned, don't we all need to hear that we are worthy of the word "special"? Today, I did. It's a minute and a half of sweet. I hope it brings you a smile.

And if that doesn't, this might. Sure it's 1:16 shredded from your day, but for Pete Thornton's sake, it's a Mister Rogers-MacGyver hybrid. Who can't get all up into that?

AND, a super-huge thank you to Jen for mailing me a sample of Avon's Bond Girl Forever. I "lifted to experience" and immediately thought of my dollhouse when I was eight. Left field, I know. It actually smells like a wee bit of feminine kick ass-ness, in a flowery sort of way. You're awesome, Jen.

It's such a good feeling to know you're alive. It's such a happy feeling, you're growing inside and when you wake up ready to say....

What did you wake up ready to say today?

10 comments:

Robin said...

L.A., I really think you ought to compile your blog posts into a book. I so admire every word you write here! Thanks for sharing these links today - watching Mr. Rogers put on his sweater and change his shoes brought back such memories! And his farewell was indeed touching and made me think about how special people are - just the way they are.

Oh, how delighted I'd be to be your neighbor!

Charles Gramlich said...

As I get older I appreciate folks like Mr. Rogers more and more.

the walking man said...

Actually if you really want to know what I woke up saying today read the post. The first thing I said was:

“what the hell just happened?”


Beyond that kiddo you go ahead on with your old bad self and keep being that sweet dichotomy. Nothing else would work for you.

Katie Reus said...

Hmm, nothing as eloquent as you (as usual, lol). I woke up this morning cursing edits. Hope you have a good weekend, L.A. :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Hi, L.A., glad you enjoyed the Avon sample. I hope the doll house was a good memory.

I haven't watched the video yet, but just thinking about Mr. Rogers brings a tear to the eye. Who can forget visiting the crayon factory or a pretzel bakery?

I woke and asked my son and his friend what the heck they were doing in his closet at 6 in the morning. "We're using our imagination, momma." I'm still not sure what they were actually doing in there...

Jen

laughingwolf said...

good stuff, lam...

i woke up early to take my puppy out, so the first thing i thought: o crap, it's rained... again :(

laughingwolf said...

btw, found a pepsi cat right up your alley ;) lol

L.A. Mitchell said...

@Robin - Thank you :) You are such a sweetheart.

@Charles - I couldn't agree more. We can almost learn more from him now than we could as children.

@walkingman - Sounds like an exciting night ;)

@Katie - Hope you're having a super weekend, too.

@Jen - Have no fear. The dollhouse, lovingly handmade by my father, is a fantastic memory.

@laughingwolf - I'm headed over to see it now, thanks :)

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Hello, i just wanted to drop by and wish you well. -Laura

Caryn Caldwell said...

That's so sweet. Mr. Rogers always made/makes me want to be a better person, and always made/makes me feel like I really could be.