Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Nay, Meme Away

I don't run across too many memes that center on books. When I do, I have to play even though no one tagged me, which could be breaking some kind of blogosphere rule. Since I am Ringmaster of this Vortex, I say, "Nay, meme away." Mercy dictates I edit out the one about Twilight lest my blog visitors break out into fits of narcissistic angst and a sickly pallor, though the rest have a decidedly teen vibe to them. Let's channel that from our past, shall we?

1. What are you dying to read this summer?
Mostly, I'm dying to read my name on Publisher's Lunch. Or that Hugh Jackman is requesting permission to follow me on Twitter. For now, I'll settle on The Seance by John Harwood, a gothic, Victorian thriller. All over that.

2. Where do you hang to read a book?

I hang in the car while the baby-on-board, Toyota-lovin' mama in front of me at the ATM itemizes her wallet before and after her transaction. I hang at breakfast, always better than a dose of Meredith Viera. I hang on my favorite over-sized chair when Sir Cat allows me.

3. What was your favorite book when you were little?

Hands down, The Giving Tree. I had two copies: One with apple juice and Cheetos stains and another with the inscription 'Laura, may you always be like the tree.' Most days, I am.


4. What's the last book that made you all emo?

Angel Girl by Laurie Friedman. I know Herman Rosenblat's story is not true, but somehow it doesn't matter. A thousand other stories like it come from tragedy because love transcends all.

5. What's the scariest book you've ever read?

Stephen King's Gerald's Game. Out of all his books, this one really creeps me out.

6. What's the funniest book you've ever read?

I had a cartoon book when I was in high school, something like 101 Funniest Ways to Die. I never sit beneath a ceiling fan that I don't think about that book.

7. If you lend a book to your bff, how soon do you expect to get it back?

If ever, great. Books should be shared.

8. Snacking while reading-guilty?
Aside from the breakfast thing, which somehow falls outside this personal rule, I don't ever snack while reading. Too distracting and messy.

9. Name a book that needs more zombies.

Wellsey's The Time Machine. And yes, I'm on a quest to use this graphic as much as possible.

10. What's the most random thing you've ever used as a bookmark?
A dry spaghetti noodle

If you're here, I tag you. Answer one or all in the comments so we can pretend we knew you when angst was your predominant vibe.

8 comments:

Marilyn Brant said...

LOL about your random bookmark! I'll have to remember that the next time I cook Italian :).

I'll answer your question #8 because, while I seem to snack at most every other time, the only thing I can have next to me while I read is a water bottle.

Charles Gramlich said...

Lol. this is a good one. I may have to steal this next time I'm stuck for a post.

Todd Wheeler said...

I'll go with the odd numbers to keep this brief.

#1 - You're An Animal, Viskovitz by Allesandro Boffa, recommended by a Summer Reader.

#3 - The Missing Persons League by Frank Bonham. This was through Scholastic Books. End of the Earth and everyone is getting on spaceships to the new world.

#5 - Scariest book, probably something by Stephen King. I don't read much horror so its easy to creep me out.

#7 - A book lent is a book given.

#9 - More zombies? Hamlet.

L.A. Mitchell said...

@Marilyn - even water would distract me. I'd dehydrate before I'd let anything come between a good read and me.

@Charles - I charge a finders fee ;)

@Todd - I've never heard of #3. Sounds like perfect fantasy for a kid. And, ooooh, Hamlet. Would really take that ghost to the next level, wouldn't it?

Robin said...

Loved this, L.A.! Great answers. I'll answer #8 too - I never snack while reading! Which is the *only* time I don't snack. Hmm...I'm thinking I should try and read A LOT more.

the walking man said...

10. What's the most random thing you've ever used as a bookmark?

A cigarette butt.

laughingwolf said...

shel's 'giving tree', in animated form, i posted on my page some time ago... just go to youtube for your copy, it's superb :)

Barbara Martin said...

#1-Nekroplis by Tim Waggoner.

#2-In my recliner or on public transportation.

#3-Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.

#5-Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon.

#8-Almost always, but nothing messy. Also, with water close by.

#9-See #1. (I'm doing a review close to it's release date of August 6).