Pages

Friday, July 27, 2007

Deep Thoughts (Not My Own)

Philosophy was never my thing in college. I know, hard to believe after all the self-indulgent theories I spill out here. So in the spirit of showing my lighter side (and because I'm channeling all of my creative juices into a highly emotional scene in my WIP) I offer up some of my favorite "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy in place of my own.


"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."


"I think there should be something in science called the "reindeer effect." I don't know what it would be, but I think it'd be good to hear someone say, "Gentlemen, what we have here is a terrifying example of the reindeer effect."


"Once when I was in Hawaii, on the island of Kauai, I met a mysterious old stranger. He said he was about to die and wanted to tell someone about the treasure. I said, "Okay, as long as it's not a long story. Some of us have a plane to catch, you know." He told us about his life and all, and I thought: "This story isn't too long." But then, he kept going, and I started thinking, "Uh-oh, this story is getting long." But then the story was over, and I said to myself: "You know, that story wasn't too long after all." I forget what the story was about, but there was a good movie on the plane. It was a little long, though."


"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."

2 comments:

Shannon Canard said...

Those are gems!

Sherry A Davis said...

OMG, LA. Those were funny :) I don't know anything about the originator, but he has a wicked sense of humor.