I started a "life list" the month I finished college. Sounds crazy, right? That all the aspirations of a lifetime could somehow line up single-file, in an orderly row and wait patiently, never lost or misplaced for the time when they could be scratched off. Everytime I clean out my desk or dust off my bookshelves, I find it. A tiny, black spiral full of random, silly accomplishments alongside dreams I hope will define me when I'm gone. I always check my progess to see if there's anything else I can cross off.
Not surprisingly, number one is "publish a novel".
Here are some I have left:
5. Set foot on or through all fifty states
8. Watch every Elvis movie ever made
9. Learn how to snowboard
13. Spend one New Year's Eve in Times Square
14. Be a contestant on a game show
This year I've been able to scratch through two, so far:
17. Fly a kite
7. Spend the night in a haunted house
What's on your "life list"?