Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Romancing the Post-Consumer Recycled Paper Drink Cup

I can sum up the number of times I've posted a recipe here at the Vortex with no hands. As in never have I ever. But this one has to do with my continuing love affair with New England, so hang in there.

While in Salem, I had red velvet hot chocolate (I know!) at Jaho Coffee & Tea on Derby Street. Not only could I have written an entire novel in its atmosphere, but that cup was truly the flavor of my love affair with Salem. The perfect strolling partner on the one mile jaunt out to the Salem Harbor lighthouse. The most memorable cup of hot chocolate. Evah.

When I returned home, I found recipes for red velvet hot chocolate that encouraged me to add red food coloring to my mix. Really? Red velvet is SO much more than just its color. It took me some time, but I toiled and crafted in my kitchen until I had triumphed over this most delicious concoction. I hope it is Fall-like where you are this week and you consider trying it. Here, the butt-sweat level is still much too high for hot drinks. New England, I miss you!

Red Vortex Hot Chocolate
(you didn't think the first recipe here would go without Vortex did you?)

2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa
2 tbsp. red velvet cake mix
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Dash of salt

Mix sugar, cocoa, cake mix and salt in a large Fabio mug. Heat milk in the microwave until hot. Add milk to powder mixture. Add vanilla. Top with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Makes me wish it was a cold day. HOt chocolate is best then.

Pamela Cayne said...

To heck with the red food coloring--the best part of this recipe is the Fabio mug!

L.A. Mitchell said...

@Charles-so true

@Pamela-Amen, sister. I actually Googled to try to find one; but, alas, all I could find was a Don't Hassle the Hoff mug. It fell short for me ;)

Robin said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing - it's a great first Vortex recipe. :)