Who am I to stand in the way of web karma? Thanks to Melanie, I'll subject everyone here to a self-indulgent display of six unspectacular things about me. Maybe someone will realize we were separated at birth or that my simultaneous affinity for Sebastian Bach and Willie Nelson is wholly disturbing and block the Vortex feeds. Nevertheless...onward.
1. My musical tastes are polar. In one day I can wax nostalgic on Johnny Cash or Waylon Jennings and remember long family car rides across the Texas panhandle when I was ten, then turn on the arena rock satellite channel and know every word of an Anthrax song. Top forty makes me want to pull my fingernails out with pliers. I use music to connect to my stories and characters, but I can't listen while I write.
2. I try not to eat while I write-it's distracting and messy-but if I do, it's either the heavier-than-a-brick lemon bar at Spot #2 or it's black pepper popcorn in a porcelain snowman bowl. Hey, it's hot here. A girl can dream, right?
3. My most hated chore is matching socks. Normally, I'm a patient individual, but it all seems so cyclical and pointless. I'd rather send the masses to kneel at the altar of the sock basket each day. Dig, people. Dig!
4. In most of my recent dreams, I'm back in college. I have no idea what this means.
5. I completely understand why the show "Wipeout" is such a hit. The host's sarcasm along with my propensity to giggle madly at the ungraceful, physical misfortune of others-and myself-has evoked tears at times. This, no doubt, comes from the same place within that has appreciated History of the World, Part 1 and Airplane more times than should be allowed.
6. My secret writing fantasy is to ghostwrite a series for beginning chapter book readers that is so wildly popular, movies and McDonald's tie-ins soon follow. The income stream will make me independently wealthy so I can afford a mountain cottage to hole up in and write commercial fiction.
Here's where I deviate from the rules. If you like, pretend I tagged you. If the thought of a meme saddled to your web persona like an albatross leaves you cringing and clicking your browser's back button, have no fear. Everyone here is off the hook.
Have a great day!